Friday, November 19, 2004

Letter to Barbara Boxer

Dear Senator Boxer,

I am writing to you today because I need to feel that there is someone at the federal level that actually cares if justice is carried out in this country and in the electoral process at hand. Yes, I am disappointed that the candidate I supported didn't win. And yes, I am upset that as a minority in this country I am reviled and discriminated against. But more than that, I am profoundly wounded by the fact that my one vote, and the votes of my friends and allies, may not be counted in many states in this country.

There is a cherished belief that if the people of this nation can envision a better world and a better country, they can come together and help create it by electing honorable people who serve as their voice at the global table. When votes are thrown away as ‘spoiled’ or intended votes are tampered with, voices are repressed, and it dashes those dreams.

Voter turnout has been steadily declining, which many believe to be in favor of the Republican party. But it is not in the favor of democracy, and it is not in the favor of a just, fair and hopeful society.

I am writing, not just to air my grievances and conspiracy theories, I am writing to urge you to be a voice of the disenfranchised. I feel that your state has been disenfranchised and will continue to be until there is major election reform. We have no right touting our progressive and superior Democracy in the United States when it is in fact no such thing. The Electoral College aside, the fact is the votes of the people are Not Being Counted.

If it comes to it, perhaps all ballots should be hand counted if that's what it takes to achieve a correct and fair outcome. There was, of course, a time before Diebold machines, punch-cards and the like. I'm not really suggesting this, but I am suggesting that our appetite for nice, neat outcomes and immediate results is fatally overshadowing our commitment to democracy.

As a player in Washington, you may have an insight into the machinations of the Republican Party and their ongoing shenanigans to remain in power, as evinced by their actions in Florida in 2000. I hope that there is something that can be done to curb the current trend or the corporations will indeed control our government, and we will be a democracy in name only.

Thank you for your time and your diligent work on our behalf.

No comments: