Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope (or, Inaugural Cheesiness)

I've been feeling buoyed all day, and then for some reason I felt compelled to switch from MSNBC to Fox (Chris Mathews is kind of a dufus), and of course Fox would rather show W's self-congratulatory speech in Midlands Texas than the parade of bands, military regiments and sundry groups making their way past the White House.

sigh.

But back to to the Day....! Yippeee. I haven't really been feeling as excited during the build up to the inauguration--not as excited as I felt like I should I guess--but as the main events unfolded--Aretha sang, the strains of John Williams' "Air and Simple Gifts" and President Obama's speech--I welled up a number of times and have felt all day like a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

One more cheesy link of the day. I kinda liked this video called "I Pledge", a professed open letter to Obama pledging celebrity support for Obama's call to service.

I promise to return another day with more cynicism.

No comments: