Monday, June 12, 2006

Check It: Nellie McKay


nellie smiles
Originally uploaded by eatsdirt.
My favorite favorite security blanket these days is Nellie McKay. She makes me so happy. I love her.

The ubiquitous tag line is "a cross between Eminem and Doris Day". I don't know about that, but she does spit some rap and also has a very pure voice in the 1st Alto/2nd Soprano range. Although, admirably, she doesn't believe in such restrictions--especially interesting since she writes her own stuff and ostensibly could write songs for herself in her range, but whatever. I find her vocal reaching and stretching endearing. Her first album, Get Away From Me is pretty eclectic, but a bit more 1950's/ 60's pop vocals than the new one which seems a bit more...modern, and rock/ pop like. She hasn't lost her political bent though. Someone commented on how there weren't as many funny, sarcastic quips on the new one, and she said that she thought she'd become less funny. So there. But I still like it, but maybe not quite as much as the first...yet.

If you even sort of like her, buy her album when it comes out this summer. She was dropped by her label last winter right before her album was supposed to come out (because they're jerks) and I heard she's going to be releasing it herself this summer. The best website for news is NellieMcKay.org

No comments: